Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Something a Bit Less Profound

I am a reality show freak, so I was extremely heartbroken when I discovered I couldn't watch them on the websites of the major US networks while in Canada (I have sense discovered other sites on which I can watch them, but most are not of the greatest quality). Anyways, in order to satisfy my uncontrollable addiction, I discovered that many reality shows broadcasted in the US have a Canadian equivalent, including Canada's Next Top Model, Project Runway Canada, Canadian Idol, So You Think You Can Dance Canada, and I'm sure many more that I have not yet discovered. Their websites do not discriminate against the origin of my computer in terms of allowing me to watch them, for which I am very grateful (yet another way that Canadians encourage diversity in their country).

Upon doing some quick research, I have only come across two reality shows that originated in Canada: Family Christmas, which shows a real-life family celebrating Christmas (sounds kinda lame, doesn't it?), and Pioneer Quest, which shows 4 people living a pioneer life for an entire year, which could be kinda cool. I haven't watched either one, nor do I even know if they are still on the air (any Canadians out there who wish to enlighten me?).

Back to the shows aired (not necessarily created) in the US that have Canadian versions: the Canadian versions are almost exact replicas of the US versions; even the lines they use are mostly the same. For example, for you Project Runway fans: Heidi Klum is replaced by the legendary supermodel Iman, who is a brilliant fashion icon and AIDS activist, but the show is entirely the same except for one line in which Iman says "[Designer's Name Here], you just don't measure up" in place of what Heidi says when someone is eliminated on the original show, which is: "[Designer's Name Here], you're out." No offence to Iman or the show, but this measure up line is corny as hell and annoys the crap out of me. I'm not sure if it's because the entire show, except for this one line, is the same, and this pathetic attempt at giving the show an unique identity is completely lame, or if it's just the fact that the sentence is lame in its own right. To give the show some credit though, I found some of their challenges to be extremely unique and often much more challenging than many I've seen on the original show.

Canada's Next Top Model is also in the exact same format: challenge in the beginning, photo shoot, evaluation by 4 judges, and then the handing-out of photos to the contestants who are still in the running to be Canada's Next Top Model. From what I've seen, there is nothing about the show that makes it unique to Canada.

Upon these disappointing discoveries, I began to wonder if the unoriginality of these reality shows is exclusively Canadian or if replica shows of other countries are just as unoriginal. Dancing with the Stars did not originate in the US but in Great Britain, where it is called "Strictly Come Dancing." I found a clip of the show on YouTube and noticed that the US version is almost exactly the same in terms of the set, show format, judging (although there are 4 judges instead of 3), music, etc. as the original British version. They even have 2 of the same judges. So, apparently Americans are as unimaginative as the Canadians in terms of their reality show reproduction.

I suppose this replication would make sense as these shows are franchises. However, aren't most franchises allowed to have some variation depending on the market in which they serve? I'm pretty sure that most people do not care about this as much as I do, if at all, but since I'm all about discovering cultural differences, no matter how insignificant, it would be nice to see a show, even though it might be a franchise of a show created in another country, make a honest effort to give their show a culturally-specific identity. You would think they would want to as the US versions of these shows are broadcasted on the major Canadian networks during Canadian prime time TV. We in Canada actually get these shows twice in one night as they are aired at the same time as they are in the Eastern timezone as well as during the prime time of the timezone in which we reside.

A question to end this useless critique: does the mere fact that the contestants are from Canada (or from whatever reality show-replicating country) make the show appealing enough to warrant another version, even when shows from different countries can be as easily viewed? I suppose so if they get good ratings and profitable advertising sales; however, I feel as though these replica reality shows are just another small way that countries are losing their precious cultural singularity.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you're just getting to know the wonderful world of CanCon. Read all about it!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_content

    Lots of Americans that relocate to Canada are annoyed that they can't even watch American shows on the internet. It's a little shady, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's super interesting--thanks for sending it. I think Germany might have something similar. I've luckily found a site with which I can find episodes of pretty much any television show known to mankind that was produced in English. They're sometimes not the best video quality, but I usually just listen to shows on the internet while doing other stuff anyway.

    ReplyDelete